Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Know My English

I don't think I do. Over years, it has become a mode of communication and I omit paying attention to detail as long as I can communicate what I want to. And now that I'm reading material from early 20th century, from Indian authors who were educated in the proper usage of the language, I perceive the limitations in my understanding of it. Knowing the complete meaning of a word holds more importance now than it has ever before.
Like how analysis means - 'the separating of any material or abstract entity into its constituent elements'. I missed the part about the breaking down into elements... I took it to mean something like 'studying the nature of something' which is not the whole meaning. And so you can understand why I was surprised when I realized synthesis was its opposite.

No wonder I'm finding it hard to understand what I'm currently reading. Need to brush up on my English.

No comments: