Friday, March 25, 2011

Art

Since I wrote what I did below, I happened to come across a video, an amazing and inspiring one where there was this view about art - that it is something that makes you think beyond what you do on a regular day. Something that makes you wonder. Taking that for my definition now, I have to say I have come across a lot of art thus far, every day, and even though I never defined it as art till this moment, just as a means to transport me beyond my daily drudge, I think it qualifies. After all art is that which enhances life. Or is that just another opinion I have adopted? :)

There is this one exhibit I saw once. It was in a room all by itself. A big room. When I entered it, at first I couldn't see the exhibit. My eye-sight is partly to blame I'm sure. But then as I got in some more, I could make out that there was a beam of light focused on  this particular spot on the floor somewhere to the opposite corner of the room. I walked closer to see what was there. I had to walk quite a bit before I could see it in all its glory. A small cube. About the size of a die.
I have since told the story about this ridiculous exhibit I had once seen. Had quite a few laughs. But then, of all the things in that museum that day, there are only a few I can vividly recall. This has been one. It has made me wonder quite a bit I have to say. But still something stops me from calling it art. I guess the thoughts that come out of the wondering have to be positive in some sense for me to acknowledge it as art.

I rather surprise myself with my perspective sometimes. And maybe one day I will read this post again and realize how transitional it truly is.

------------

Had this discussion with a friend the other day and wanted to check what others think..
What does ART mean for you? I guess I'm trying to understand what one is looking for in Art and why some things are artsy for some and not so much for others.

To me personally, I guess I'm looking for something which is aesthetically pleasing. Or maybe something that captures life in a different light. I'm sure if I give it more thought I can throw in more points for what works for me. But one thing remains - I am many times not able to figure out modern art.

No comments: