Sunday, April 5, 2009

Norms

I once got a book with an inscription - "Hope this brings the smile back to your face when you are down". A good friend of mine saw this and said "I hope you never have to use that book". That's when I started wondering why I was touched by the note before!

Does that mean I have accepted "bad times" as part and parcel of things? Does that reflect on how optimistic I am?! Hmm, now there is a thought... Or does it just mean I am realistic?

Come to think of it I do do a lot of second guessing -- always mapping out the possibilities and playing it "safe". There have been times when I get carried away and do crazy stuff; when thought is blocked and I live for the moment; when I throw caution to the wind and dive right in. But. When in my saner moments I think and think again and think some more and sometimes (or is it most times?) let things lie in the interest of self preservation.

Am I holding out on experiencing? Am I missing opportunities? When in the process of growing up did I start learning to be cautious -- expecting bad as one of the possibilities?

I should try throwing caution to the wind one day! (and make sure all the risky factors are out of the way on that day) -- is the thought that came to head right after!! :D

I hope.

4 comments:

kiran said...

Now that's the problem with growing older and wiser, makes you want to evaluate risk-reward on a continuous basis instead of acting and then retrospecting. Better that way than wondering who you gave your number to in that bar two days ago :p

Journeyer said...

:) you've got a point there..

Manjo said...

"Good times" and "Bad times" have meaning only in a relative sense. When you live one moment at a time with no dragging from the past and no fear for future, you have no relativity left to call that moment good or bad. Those moments are pure bliss.

By the way that was philosophy of Tao.

Journeyer said...

Hey Manjo, Nice philosophy. Same guy you had blogged about a while ago?