Sunday, July 5, 2009

My First Swimming Lesson

A marginally cold night it was and the warm pool water seemed to be the best place to be in. And so it was that the bunch of us jumped in with some pizza and drinks on the pool side.. a pool party.. my very first. It was less than 4 feet of water on this end and there was no threat of drowning.. I was still sticking to the edges..

She didn't know how to swim either. Watching the others push off the wall of the pool and streamline, she tried to imitate the motions. Pretty soon she was spanning the breadth of the pool this way.. Got me wondering why I was being so timid; why I wasn't being more adventurous.. So it happened that I took that first deep breath and pushed off the wall and let myself float.. and gradually to flap my legs and get that first halfway across the pool. Eventually I made it the whole way across and later on parred the same backwards - facing the starry sky.

My first swimming lesson - try, don't be afraid to move beyond your comfort zone. This wasn't the first time she showed me that. I'm sure it wont be the last. I'm just glad she was around.

Hope everyone had a good 4th of July.

No comments: