Thursday, February 25, 2010

Panic on the Highway

Was cruising up the highway as usual with the radio blasting and enjoying the unusually cushioned drive. The loaner did have one advantage on the bumpy road - better suspension. And a brighter colour - RED! It only seemed natural then that I should check how the cooper performed in comparison with the cooper S. I was going at a comfortable 55mph when I started revving. 60mph all is good, it was responding well to the gas rush. 65mph - going strong.... and thats when it started. The rmp shot from about 3500 to beyond 5000 all of a sudden and the engine started crying out for gas. The blood rushed to my head in alarm and I got busy checking the cars around me to ensure I could pull off to the curb... when it hit me - I was driving an automatic and the gears must have changed. They weren't in my control today!


- Experiences of a manual transmission driver.

No comments: