Monday, June 21, 2010

Games and Volunteers

Did I already mention it - I love board games? I must have. But time for re-iteration - I love board games!! :)

Be it with house-mates over a game of Blokus or with strangers over friendly matches of Carroms or with friends over competitive Catan; inevitable to have fun. Spent last Saturday playing carroms. I never perceived myself as a good player. I still think I'm not; but I have my flashes of genius! Lets not get carried away - flashes of good playing :P Thanks in dollops to my doubles partner.

Volunteering is fun. Be it at the Carroms tournament or the early morning runs on Saturday where I'm the water carrier :) Free rides to beautiful locations and the chance to bike in said locations. Rubbing shoulders with people resolute enough to run marathons or half marathons. Conversing with die hards who believe in the cause. These are the fun parts of volunteering; the stuff I participate in. But then there is a whole different level to it. There is something to be said about people who diligently attend meetings and coordinate projects long distance; who spend hours and days in advancing their cause and organize rallies to increase awareness, in researching for their fights; who stake out dharanas; who leave behind personal aims and ambitions to work for others less fortunate.

So here's to all the real volunteers out there, doing an awesome job at it, not craving recognition or accolades but just the greater good of people - you are amazing!

No comments: